Sunday, November 07, 2004

A BCC Members' Blog?

blog icon
As the Championship begins to draw to a close, I've begun to contemplate life after the 2004 boylston chess club championship weblog.

[In point of fact,I think this blog will likely remain active for another month or so as I wrap things up, create summaries of previous posts, and peek in on the finish of the Haup. The posting of the USCF rating report for the Championship will probably represent its swan song.]

One idea I have been considering is establishing a members' blog for the club. Blogger allows weblogs to have multiple authors; therefore, I could set up a blog which would allow any interested members of the club to post games, analysis, announcements, chess anecdotes, etc. For example, moves/positions from the current club correspondence game which Paul is managing could be posted. Of course, we would expect members to stay on topic (or at least close to it) and could remove anyone's authorship rights if they posted inappropriate content.

I do not envision the members' blog as a replacement for the BCC website, but instead as an interactive extension to it. Of course the website home page would have a prominent link to the members' blog (and the blog would link back to the site just like 2004 boylston chess club championship does today).

If there is sufficient interest among the membership, I would be willing to set-up and administer this project. Please comment on the following topics:
  1. What do you think of the idea of a BCC members' weblog?

  2. Would you be interested in posting to this blog on a periodic (regular) basis?

    While individual members certainly wouldn't need to post anywhere near as often as I have (especially if several members are actively participating), a blog without fresh content is not particularly interesting to read.

  3. What other ideas do you have for club/chess related posts which could be included in the members' blog?

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert Oresick said...

I think this is a terrific idea. It would be a more dynamic and interactive supplement to the website. I would suggest you be the editor or moderator with, as you said, some pruning of off topic or inappropriate posts. I enthusiastically vote giving it a try.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Robert Oresick said...

would there be a convenient way to incorporate the dynamic game display so we could play through the game online, move by move, and read the analysis?
I'm not sure how the bcc games page gets produced.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David:

I've enjoyed your blog for the past three months, and think that a permanent one is an excellent idea. If there is enough traffic, I'll even give it a square on the BCC front page.

- Alex Cherniack, BCC web master

8:45 PM  
Blogger David Glickman said...

Bob,

Re: dynamic display of games on the weblog

This is an area where my knowledge isn't deep. It took me many weeks just to figure out how to include diagrams on the page. That said, if there is a way to produce the dynamic display using html only then I suspect that it would be no problem to post the code into Blogger's html editor. However if it requires uploading programs then I think it would have to be hosted elsewhere.

Anyone out there who actually knows what they're talking about (unlike me), please feel free to provide a real answer. Thanks.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home